Skip to main content

Once We are Retired



Most of our adult lives our commitments consume our time. We don't dislike having to be busy and responsible for others. It's what we do! As we age our obligations and priorities change - that's not always a bad thing! If we live long enough it happens!

Once retired, our retirement frees up our personal time, so we can pretty much can do whatever we want. If we have a choice, we can fritter our time away doing nothing, or we can do something

My interests are all over the place -- seldom am I ever bored. Cartooning, creating caricatures for tourists at popular resorts here in the states and abroad, in the past, and music appreciation, church involvement, sailing, photography, creative writing, cooking and flying my drones, as well as, fooling around with my tractor on our property have been my occupation since retiring in my late fifties.

In the days and weeks to come, I want to slow down on my writing to spend more of my time editing and producing my videos for my YouTube channel, and other personal ventures. My page "whats-up-melton.blogspot.com" continues on the internet - my past stories are archived there for those who would like to read them. I am choosing to spend more time with my videos though for now.

As a wise man in Tibet once shared with me, over an expresso in Katmandu, "Doing something good is always a good thing to do!" I had that tattooed on my "sleeve", but I traded that shirt with an Uber driver for a ride to the Pashhupatinath Temple on the banks of the Bagmati River in India. (Not really true, I just made this up for some interesting content to my story.)

So long, my deer friends, and all those who have been my faithful readers over all these many years. Be ye blessed, and have a nice day, ya hear? Fresh corn for the deer this afternoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Run Maggie Run

"Dixie" Over the years, I have had some great friends who were dogs! Ringo, Lobo, Chix, and now Dixie. Dixie is my Australian shepherd, border collie mix. She’s old, like me. We have our aches, and pains, and we can’t get around like we use to when we were pups. That’s life, what can I say? Dixie has a hard time with her hips and back legs. I do what I can to help her every day. I pick her up, and help her in her chair, and in bed at night, next to me. I love this little girl. She and I have been buddies for thirteen years now. We’ve taken our early morning walks around our pond, chased the crows and barked at the deer. I have comforted her when the lightning and thunder caused her fear, fed her when she wasn’t feeling good. She in turn, has given me peace when I didn’t feel any! They say a dog is a man’s best friend! So true! Chris Stapleton, a gifted country-blues singer, recorded a song about “his” best friend, Maggie a while back. He sings a poignant song that shares on

Some like it hot!

I'm talking about Salsa. Everyone loves salsa! Salsa is a traditional, Mexican side dish typically served at room temperature. I enjoy salsa at any temperature, just make sure it's spicy! My neighbor, Marylou, makes the best darn salsa in the world! She is Mexican and was born knowing how to cook all things Mexican I believe. Her husband was born in Honduras, so she cooks South American too. Marylou gave me a very simple, traditional salsa recipe I'll share with you here. I've made it and... oh wow! Delicious! You can make this salsa with jalapenos or Tabasco-style peppers. She uses the latter, so do I. 3 Roma tomatoes 3 tomatillos chopped small 6 small hot peppers 3 garlic cloves chopped fine 1/2 yellow onion chopped fine salt to taste a little water It's best if tomatoes and peppers seeded are grilled (blackened) - adds smokey flavor I like. Combine all ingredients in a blender on "chop" setting. Leave chunky is what I prefer. Cover and put your salsa i

Just plain folks

We live in the cities, the suburbs, on the farm, and out in the country. We live at home, and some of us live away from home. Some of us are wealthy, and most of us aren’t so much – some of us are just needing the basics of survival. We are still, in my mind, “just plain folks!” Wherever we live, we are “just plain folks.” We go to school, to work wherever we find it, in our homes, our industries, and in all manner of social services. I see people everywhere wanting to have a good life. We all deserve to have a good life – to be happy, healthy, and prosperous. Thank God we live in America where we have the opportunity to achieve that good life if we choose! I believe we are seeing hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of potential leaders who are called to see our great country return to her greatness – to help us achieve that good life we all want. Even now, in 2022, those leaders are stepping out and showing us the great American way. For a time, I was worried our future was i